It's time to celebrate and spoil your favorite pup because Dog Day is Friday, August 26!
Did you really need that as an excuse?
We sure don't. Every day is Dog Day around here. If that's true for you too, let's spoil our sweet four-legged fur babies with special homemade treats of Peanut Butter Banana Pup Cakes or Peanut Butter Dog Treats!
Peanut Butter Banana Cake (or Pup Cakes)
- 1/4 creamy peanut butter (confirm your peanut butter does not contain xylitol, which is dangerous for dogs.)
- 1/2 to 1 cup ripe banana, mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed banana and peanut butter until smooth.
- Add egg and stir.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix until combined.
- Pour into greased cupcake pan or use liners. You can also use a greased 6-inch cake pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Prepare frosting by mixing peanut butter into the Greek yogurt until smooth. Refrigerate.
- Once cake is cool, frost with frosting and decorate as you like – use dog treats (like we did) or fresh fruit. Refrigerate until served.
Peanut Butter Dog Treats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (confirm your peanut butter does not contain xylitol, which is dangerous for dogs.)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce or 1/2 mashed banana
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine flour, peanut butter, and applesauce or banana in a large bowl to form a thick crumbly dough. Add water, one tablespoon at a time until you have a large ball of dough.
- Roll out the dough on a clean, floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick and use cookie cutters to create individual treats.
- Bake treats on a baking sheet for about 15 minutes (timing will depend on oven and size of treats).
- Allow to cool before serving. Store in an airtight container.
Jennifer Hill is the publisher of Macaroni KID Fremont-Newark-Union City, Calif.