You can check out our full event calendar HERE, but the list below are our Top 10 picks for events and activity ideas happening in and around Carroll County this week. Don't miss out on all the fun, and please be sure to let them know you saw it in Macaroni Kid Westminster-Carroll!
Events are subject to change or cancellation. Please confirm events prior to attending.
Top 10 of the Week
Oct 11th - 17th
- Introductory Riding Lesson at Sweet Rock Stables - Lesson Includes: How to groom a horse including his/her mane and tail. How to pick (clean) a horse's hooves correctly. How to safely and properly lead and control a horse on the ground. NOTE: You may NOT ride for this introductory lesson. Wear jeans and hard-soled shoes with closed toes!
- CCPL: Loot Boxes - Spooky Stories - Ready to take home a Library Loot Box? The Loot Box is a take-home kit for teens with crafts, surprises, and a library book for you to read! In honor of Halloween, our theme this month is Spooky Stories. Pick the box up at CCPL's Taneytown Branch beginning October 11. Just be sure to return the box and book when you're done reading!
- Carroll Arts Center: Ignite Carroll 9 - IGNITE Carroll is a high-energy evening of 5-minute talks by people who have a burning idea—and the guts to get on stage and share it with the crowd. The IGNITE concept puts multiple speakers in front of an audience with only 5 minutes to speak on a topic with a PowerPoint presentation that auto advances every 15 seconds. It is their chance to “enlighten” the audience about their passions! BUT, they have to “make it quick!
- Bear Cub Explorers: Fall Foliage - Each month we’ll learn about a different nature-related theme indoors before heading outside to put our new knowledge to the test! We’ll finish up with an interactive craft to remind us of our day. Each month explores a different theme; activities are planned for ages 3-6; tag-along siblings must register.Instructor: Bear Branch Nature Center Staff
- Island Green Family Fun Center: Red Dirt Revolution - Your favorite Country Band is back at the driving range for a great party.
- Schools Out Fun - School's out, come have fun with Recreation & Parks. School's Out Fun Day will include games, crafts, and physical fitness. Students should pack a peanut free lunch. Early drop-off from 8-9am is available for $10 per child; late pick-up from 4-5pm is also available for $10 per child.
- Stargazing for Beginners at Bear Branch Nature Center - Learn the basics of stargazing with the help of our planetarium!We’ll learn a few of the most common constellations, how to identify a planet versus a star and video on how a telescope works and the amazing things we have learned since it’s invention. Then We'll head outside to practice what we’ve learned with some inexpensive tools you can use at home!
- HSCC: Past Times for Children - Doctors and Medicine - Doctors made house visits when one got sick. Children will learn how treatments differ from now and how doctors’ children became their assistants. Dramatic play, books, songs, and activities included as well as going home with a filled doctor’s bag.m General Information: For children 4 to 9 years. Children will discover what it was like to live in Carroll County in the 1800’s. They will travel back in time and experience living on farms and in towns through creative activities, songs, stories and crafts. This program focuses on a different topic each class and includes a craft or activity that reinforces the theme.
- Charlotte’s Quest Nature Center: Haunted Woods - Join us for a spooky hike through our woods.
- Union Mills Homestead: Mason-Dixon Jeep Gathering - Come out and see a large collection of Willys and Jeeps at the historic Union Mills Homestead. Since 2008, this is one of the largest vintage Jeep shows on the East Coast. This year is the 15th Anniversary of this annual event. See World War II and Korean War era military Jeeps and the civilian Jeeps and utility vehicles that are the grandfathers of today’s Jeeps & SUVs. Jeeps can be entered into one of three categories at the show: Best Military Jeep, Best CJ (Civilian Jeep) and Best Non-Jeep. The non-jeep category features Willys trucks and station wagons. Everyone in attendance will vote on each of the three categories to name the winners.